Monday, February 12, 2018

The View From Section 142


2/13/18

The View from Section 142

By Cliff Rodriguez @CliffRod303



I’ve been a Nuggets season ticket holder since 2009. In that time I’ve seen some great players and some good teams come through Denver. Over the last nine years the team has been both a perennial playoff team and a NBA waste-land. Post Carmelo Anthony the Nuggets were never quite good enough to contend for a title; and never quite bad enough to score a franchise changing player via the draft.

The 2017/18 Nuggets have brought renewed life to a previously dismal franchise. Fresh off an exciting ending to the 2016 season the Nuggets looked ready to take the next step towards the western conference playoffs. The acquisition of an NBA all-star in Paul Millsap created a huge buzz around town. Most fans, including myself couldn’t wait to see Millsap play with this team. Unfortunately Millsap went down with a wrist injury a mere 16 games into his first season with the Nuggets.

My instant reaction was obviously here we go again. Denver was finally able field a roster that should be able to make a run at the playoffs and our best player was injured within the first quarter of the season. Annoyed with the basketball gods I did what any self-righteous fan with great seats would do. I started selling off my tickets to all the premium games. Unashamed I made a large amount of money slanging my tickets to unworthy bandwagon fans. Golden State, Houston, OKC, the Lakers all have legions of trendy douche bags willing to pay premium dollars to keep up the charade of their fandom.

Although I did not attend many games, I watched every one of them. All I wanted was the Nuggets to stay relevant during Millsap’s absence. Stay in striking distance, compete every night, and develop an identity is what I was hoping for.

In surprising and heroic like fashion Denver has been able to stay 100% relevant in the western conference playoff picture. At 30-26 the Nuggets are currently in the 7th seed in the conference and are only one game out of the 5th seed.  The core of Jamal Murray, Gary Harris and Nikola Jokic has put the western conference on notice, that this team is for real. The play of Will Barton and Trey Lyles has presented a challenge to every team every night; and right now there isn’t a team that’s looking forward to playing Denver in round one of the playoffs.

I see a team that’s learning to win. I see a team that’s becoming more confident with each win. I see a team that has the roster and fire power to beat anyone on any given night in a variety of ways. I also see a team that needs to learn how to stop the bleeding. I see a team that needs to learn how to win when they aren’t playing their best. I see a team that is still afraid to lose.

This team needs time. We haven’t seen their best yet. The hard part for us the “fan” is being patient. Sustained success has to be built. In this day and age we all want instant gratification. This can’t be rushed. The blueprint is on the table, the ingredients are being prepped. Don’t fall victim to low hanging fruit.

The best move the front office has made this season, was not panicking at the trade deadline last week. They could have easily started to let talent go for pennies on the dollar and trade away future picks. Holding their ground showed me that they know that this team is close to contending. Not selling the farm for a chance at a playoffs was the right move. When you’re close to sustained greatness, continued patience is necessary. If they were fighting for a top 3 seed and had an actual shot at the title this season then they should have made more moves. Holding their ground and saving picks as set them up to make significant upgrades in both free agency and the draft for next season.  

The Nuggets are on track to be a perennial playoff team again. The future is bright. This season will end in disappointment, but without disappointment you can’t appreciate victory. Get ready for some great basketball. Mark my words, if Denver stays on track with the core of Murray, Harris, Jokic, Millsap and Lyles they will be a top 3 seed in 2020 and will be in contention for an NBA in title until 2023.

Come at me haters.

No comments:

Post a Comment